Program Information and History
Purpose and Award
Helping those in the epilepsy community achieve their goals
Outstanding accomplishments deserve recognition. The UCB Family Epilepsy Scholarship
ProgramTM is celebrating 10 years of offering financial support to people living with epilepsy, their
family members, and/or caregivers who demonstrate academic and personal excellence.
In 2015, UCB will offer 30 one-time scholarships of up to $5,000.
To apply, you must certify that you are:
- A legal resident of the United States
- A person living with epilepsy or a family member/caregiver of a person living with epilepsy
- Seeking an associate's, undergraduate, or graduate degree or enrolled in a trade school educational program
- A student who demonstrates achievement, possesses a strong record of participation in activities outside of school, and serves as a positive role model
- Graduating from high school in 2015 or have already graduated from high school
- Enrolled in, or awaiting acceptance from, a United States–based center for higher learning for fall semester 2015
- Not a previous recipient of the UCB Family Epilepsy Scholarship ProgramTM
- Not an employee of UCB or an immediate family member of a UCB employee. Immediate family members are defined by UCB, Inc. as spouses, domestic partners, children, parents, grandchildren, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, stepchildren, stepsisters and stepbrothers. Additionally, immediate family members of healthcare professionals who directly or indirectly influence the prescribing of epilepsy medications are not eligible to apply.
The Selection of Recipients and Determination of the Scholarship Amount
Selection of recipients will be at the sole discretion of the judges chosen by UCB. A panel of medical professionals and patient advocates from across the country will select the scholarship recipients. Use of UCB products is not considered and does not increase your chances of winning. After a winner's educational enrollment has been verified for the fall 2015 semester, the scholarship check will be made payable and mailed directly to the educational institution in July 2015. Scholarship amounts will be up to $5,000 to cover the recipient's tuition and/or educational materials expenses. However, if a student does not have a minimum of $5,000 in educational expenses owed for his/her schooling, the scholarship amount will only cover the remaining amount. If upon contacting an applicant UCB learns he/she does not have any remaining costs owed to the academic institution, he/she will no longer be eligible for the scholarship.
To apply, please log in and submit a complete application and all required supporting documents listed below by no later than Tuesday, May 12, 2015.
- Sections of the application will need to be completed by the applicant, a parent/guardian
(if the applicant is under 18), a school official, a member of the
community, and a member of the applicant’s healthcare team.
- Selection will be based on the following criteria, which must be included:
- A one-page essay authored by the applicant explaining why the applicant should be
selected for the scholarship (e.g., outstanding awards or community involvement), how epilepsy has impacted the applicant’s life, either as a person living with epilepsy
or as a family member/caregiver, and how the scholarship will benefit the applicant.
- 3 letters of recommendation (Please note that you are not required to have a letter from someone in each category listed below as long as you submit three letters. Please reference the FAQ for additional information.)
- School official’s recommendation letter
- Community member’s recommendation letter
- Healthcare team member’s recommendation letter
- A copy of the applicant’s academic transcript
- Students pursuing degrees in the arts are welcome to include an artistic presentation. This is an optional item.
- Additional pages can be attached to the application if more space is needed for responses.
History of the UCB Family Epilepsy Scholarship Program
Since 2005, UCB has awarded over $1,500,000 to more than 300 deserving people. UCB is celebrating 10 years of the scholarship program. Please visit the video library to see highlights of the first 10 years and to hear from previous winners.